This week I am not wondering, I flat-out know that my hat is off to TEACHERS!
They've been busy lately ….. on these weeks that precede the Labor Day weekend….
- putting up bulletin boards
- creating colorful doorways and welcoming signs
- inventorying supplies
- re-stocking their classrooms
- organizing, organizing, organizing
- collaborating with colleagues
- meeting new staff
- taking student leaders on retreat to plan for the year
- dreaming those nightmares where they oversleep on the first day of school
- sighing at class lists that well exceed thirty
- finding enough desks
- wondering where the summer went
- planning, planning, and planning some more
- hoping the weather isn't too hot those first few weeks back
but behind all this busyness…. and the worrying, wondering and thinking…. is their biggest gift …. their heart for kids…. translation...
- their deep belief that all kids can succeed
- their work ethic that keeps them trying and holding on even when the needs are so daunting
- their willingness and ability to be flexible
- their way of always looking for good intentions
- their salary measured by the smiles, the aha's, the small forward steps and little successes
- their patience with setbacks, endless demands, and a culture that puts so much blame on the schools
- their enthusiasm and willingness to be creative, adventuresome and silly
- the energy they get from kids
- their joy when students step up
I am grateful for teachers and their heart for kids.
I know their hearts will be broken open many times during this school year. I hope that most of the time it is due to deep JOY.